Saturday, December 5, 2009

Before I began my graduate studies at Walden University I had very limited knowledge of and subsequently little need or use for digital tools, including social networking applications. Sure, I knew about Google – everybody does, don’t they? And I had used Google extensively, even for work related queries. And earlier this year a favorite relative had introduced me to Facebook. . . and pressured me relentlessly, in a loving way, until I signed up. But even with these tools I would hardly say that I had an adequate network in place, for learning or anything else.

Since I’ve been a student, however, I have been introduced to a whole new world of technological tools – tools that I can use to assist me in learning. Take my iPod, for example. Because I purchased an iPod I learned about iTunes. And the same relative who pressured me into getting a Facebook account also showed me around iTunes. And just the other day when I wanted more information about a particular learning theory she suggested that I go to iTunes to search for informational books, lectures, presentations and the like which might cover the learning theory in question. Who knew iTunes had more to offer than just musical tunes?

So now, when I have questions and need answers I have a growing network of sources and tools to access: I have Google, iTunes, Linked-in, and Facebook. Did I mention blogs? Well, apparently, there’s a whole galaxy of information out here in the ever-growing universe of information sources and tools called ‘blogs’. Obviously you know about blogs, since you are here reading mine. But did you know that I just learned what blogs are? Shameful, I know, I know. Anyhoo…I think blogs are fantastic. Oh, the immensity of information to be gotten from blogs! And, since I created my blog, I had to also set-up an aggregator to help me sort through all the information from the blogs.

Connectivists believe that knowing where to find information is often times more valuable than knowing information. They also believe learners can significantly, even exponentially, improve their learning by plugging into an existing network. I don’t know that I agree one hundred percent on these or some of the other tenets of connectivism. What I do know, though, is that this is a very different world than the one in which I grew up. Learning is far more complex, just as George Seimens (father of connectivism) has suggested. Technology plays an ever-increasing role in learning. Digital tools can and do aid learning. After all states an unknown web source, currency (accurate, up-to-date knowledge) is the intent of all learning.

No comments: